Sunday 21 November 2021

Coziest Season, Underground Fellows, Northern Flicker

  Thanks for visiting Neddy and me here at the Wooden House.

Our pond had the thinnest layer of ice laid across the top of it on Thursday morning and most of it has remained. This was a signal that winter is truly on its way and we should prepare ourselves.

  To that end, all the hats, scarves, mittens and gloves have been brought up from the basement to the front hall closet for easy reach. I start out the season with it all neatly organized but it isn't long before it is a jumbled mess. If any of you have organizing tips for this, please share!

These little guys have now disappeared underground. I sentimentally like to think of them snoozing and lounging while snacking too on the sunflower seeds they gathered from my feeders all summer. Like this one, cheeks full.                              

Sort of like this... Lore Pemberton's wonderful piece called "Holed Up". 

Check out more of this fabulous artist's work here.

This is the season that always makes me think of coziness, warmth, looking through LL Bean catalogues, sipping hot tea and building a firewood wall on the verandah. 

The feeders have been very busy. Though a lot of birds have disappeared, a number overwinter here and keep me busy spying on them. 

Love the way this fellow was using his tail for stability.

And that same morning by the pond, a Northern Flicker stayed around long enough for a couple of photos. 
I tried hard to capture the heart shaped red markings, but not quite.  Half a heart.
I've wondered why I love watching birds so much.  I must adore them is my conclusion. 
Hope there is something in your life you adore too!
Happy to link with Viewing Nature With Eileen and Our World Tuesday

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jocelyn,
    I adore the birds too, birdwatching is my simple pleasure. Wonderful photos of the chipmunk, woodpecker and the flicker. Those chipmunks look so cute with their cheeks full of food. I love your moose mug. The holed-up artwork is wonderful, I can picture the critters living just like pictured in the art. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, I wish you a happy new week! PS, thanks for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to hear from you!

Shopping Online, Indoor Gardening, Pileated Woodpecker

 The little pond sported a thin covering of snow one morning recently. Neddy ventured onto it and, for the first time, the ice held his weig...